Current:Home > MarketsWill Sage Astor-King Charles attends Easter service, Princess Kate absent after their cancer diagnoses -Visionary Wealth Guides
Will Sage Astor-King Charles attends Easter service, Princess Kate absent after their cancer diagnoses
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 18:33:00
King Charles III stepped out for church on Will Sage AstorEaster Sunday, while Princess Kate skipped the service, following announcements that both members of the British royal family have been diagnosed with cancer.
Charles was joined by Queen Camilla at St. George's Chapel; Princess Kate was not in attendance, nor was Prince William or their children. But other royals who turned out for the service at Windsor Castle included Princess Anne, Prince Edward, Duchess Sophie and Prince Andrew.
The king, wearing a dark overcoat, and queen waved to onlookers when they arrived at the chapel by car from their residence at Windsor Castle. The queen wore a green coat dress and an emerald and diamond brooch that belonged to the late Queen Elizabeth II.
Onlookers wished Charles good health, while others said "Happy Easter." The king said: "You're very brave to stand out here in the cold."
The British monarch also greeted well-wishers in an impromptu walkabout after the Easter service. A smiling Charles, accompanied by Queen Camilla, shook hands with scores of people gathered outside St George's Chapel, the resting place of his mother Queen Elizabeth.
This comes after Charles previously skipped Maundy Thursday service this week at Worcester Cathedral but delivered a pre-recorded audio message stating it is a "great sadness that I cannot be with you all today," per Sky News. Charles also reflected on the importance of serving others.
King Charles III speaks out:The monarch expresses 'heartfelt thanks' for support after cancer diagnosis
"It is my special prayer today that our Lord's example of serving one another might continue to inspire us and to strengthen all of our communities," he said. "May God bless you all this Easter."
Sunday's Easter service was Charles' first major public event since Buckingham Palace shared in February that he has been diagnosed with a "form of cancer." It has not been disclosed what kind of cancer he has, but his diagnosis came after he was treated for benign prostate enlargement.
At the time, the palace said the king would postpone his public-facing duties as he "commenced a schedule of regular treatments" but "continue to undertake state business and official paperwork as usual."
Charles has kept up with the bulk of his non-public state duties such as greeting foreign officials and holding regular meetings with Prime Minister Rishi Sunak.
Princess Kate diagnosed with cancer:King Charles III, Harry and Meghan react
Princess Kate's absence comes after asking for 'space' as she undergoes preventive chemotherapy
Princess Kate also stepped back from the public eye after undergoing abdominal surgery in January. Following weeks of rumors and conspiracy theories about her health, Kate shared on March 22 that she was diagnosed with cancer and is in the early stages of preventive chemotherapy.
"We hope that you'll understand that as a family, we now need some time, space and privacy while I complete my treatment," she said. "My work has always brought me a deep sense of joy, and I look forward to being back when I'm able. But for now, I must focus on making a full recovery."
Kate and William typically step away from their royal duties and spend time with their family over Easter as their children have a break from school. Last year, the Prince and Princess of Wales attended Easter service at St. George's Chapel, with their son Prince Louis, 5, attending for the first time.
In a previous statement shared by Kensington Palace, a spokesperson for William and Kate said they are "both enormously touched by the kind messages from people here in the U.K., across the Commonwealth and around the world in response" to Kate's cancer announcement.
"They are extremely moved by the public's warmth and support and are grateful for the understanding of their request for privacy at this time," the statement added.
Contributing: Taijuan Moorman and Kelly Lawler, USA TODAY; Hollie Adams, Reuters
veryGood! (68)
Related
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- The Latest: Candidates will try to counter criticisms of them in dueling speeches
- Tommy Lee's Wife Brittany Furlan Rescues Their Dog After Coyote Snatches Them in Attack
- Jury awards $2.78 million to nanny over hidden camera in bedroom
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Where is 'College GameDay' for Week 5? Location, what to know for ESPN show
- New 'Wuthering Heights' film casting sparks backlash, accusations of whitewashing
- Adult charged after Virginia 6 year old brings gun in backpack
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- U.S. wrestler Alan Vera dies at 33 after suffering cardiac arrest during soccer game
Ranking
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- Whoopi Goldberg Defends Taylor Swift From NFL Fans Blaming Singer for Travis Kelce's Performance
- New survey finds nearly half of Asian Americans were victims of a hate act in 2023
- Sara Foster Addresses Tommy Haas Breakup Rumors
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Ego Trip
- Helene reaches hurricane status ahead of landfall in Florida: Live updates
- New 'Wuthering Heights' film casting sparks backlash, accusations of whitewashing
Recommendation
Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
Coca-Cola Spiced pulled from shelves less than a year after drink's release
In dueling speeches, Harris is to make her capitalist pitch while Trump pushes deeper into populism
Abbott Elementary’s Season 4 Trailer Proves Laughter—and Ringworm—Is Contagious
From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
Steelworkers lose arbitration case against US Steel in their bid to derail sale to Nippon
Milwaukee-area stolen Virgin Mary statue found and returned to church
Adult charged after Virginia 6 year old brings gun in backpack